Dr. Matthew Crosston
- Title: Associate Professor; Center Director
- College: College of Arts and Sciences
- Email Address: email@example.com
- Office Phone: (402) 557-7506
- Office Location: #4211 Educational Services Building
- Subjects: Bachelor of Science (traditional) ISIS; Master of Science (traditional) ISIS
- Degrees Awarded: Post-Doc - UNIVERSITY OF TORONTO, Conflict and Development Studies, 2003
Ph.D. - BROWN UNIVERSITY, Political Science, 1997-2003
M.A. - UNIVERSITY OF LONDON, Politics of Transition and Development, 1993-1994
B.A. - COLGATE UNIVERSITY, Russian Studies, 1989-1993
- Fostering Fundamentalism: Terrorism, Democracy and American Engagement in Central Asia US Foreign Policy and Conflict in the Islamic World Series, Ashgate UK, Sep 2006
- Shadow Separatism: Implications for Democratic Consolidation Post-Soviet Politics Series, Ashgate UK, Oct 2004
- BOOK CHAPTERS
- Global Community and Global Security
Part I - "Fighting Terror and Spreading Democracy: When Theory and Practice Collide" Studies in Jurisprudence Series, Rodopi, Amsterdam/New York, Nov 2008.
- Global Community and Global Security
- Hard Power in a Soft Package: The 'True' Conservatism of Obama Leadership in Foreign Policy Journal of Global Analysis, Vol. 3, No. 1, January 2012.
- Problems of Perspective: The IC and Academia Homeland Security Today, December 2011.
- World Gone Cyber M.A.D: How Mutually Assured Debilitation is the Best Hope for Cyber-deterrence Strategic Studies Quarterly, Vol. 5, No. 1, Spring 2011.
- Neoconservative Democratization in Theory and Practice: Contradictions and Consequences in International Security International Politics, Vol. 46, No. 2-3, Mar 2009.
- Compromising Coalitions and Duplicitous Diplomacy: US Support for Tajikistan after 9/11 and Consequences to Security Central Asian Survey, Vol. 27, No. 2, Jun 2008.
- Building New Bin Ladens: The US Illusion of Spreading Democracy and Fighting Terrorism Democracy and Security, Vol. 3, No. 3, 2007.
- The Hizb ut-Tahrir in Central Asia: How America Misreads Islamist Threats Middle East Review of International Affairs, Vol. 11, No. 3, Sep 2007.
- Gaining Advantage: Comparing the Founding Legal Documents of Russian Federalism Sudebnik: Law Review of the Vinogradoff Institute, UCL, Vol 8, Issue 3, Fall 2004.
- Towards A Brief History of Autonomy: Bilateral Treaties Within the Russian Federation Sudebnik: Law Review of the Vinogradoff Institute, UCL, Vol 8, Issue 1, Spring 2004.
- Professional Conferences and Presentations:
- Spies Don't Tweet: Why Social Media is an Exclusively Grassroots Tool - Paper, International Studies Association world conference, San Diego, Apr 2012.
- Virtual Patriots: Jus ad Cyber Bellum and the Need for New Ethics in Cyber Deterrence - Paper, International Studies Association world conference, San Diego, Apr 2012.
- Problems in Theories of Cyber Dominance: Focus on the Middle East - Special invitee of the Kay Fellow, Washington Institute, Washington DC, Oct 2011.
- Developing Relevant Curriculum and Training Professionals for the National Security Arena - Feature panelist, Office of the Director of National Intelligence, Senior-Executive Advisory Board, Washington DC, Apr 2011.
- New Approaches to Anticipating Conflict: An Academic and Intelligence Community Forum - Co-organizer. Chair. Discussant. Great Plains National Security Education Consortium, Omaha-Lincoln, Apr 2011.
- Hard Power in a Soft Package: Obama-talk and Bush-walk on the Global Stage - Paper, International Studies Association world conference, Montreal, Mar 2011.
- World Gone Cyber M.A.D: How 'Mutually Assured Debilitation' is the Best Hope for Cyber Deterrence - Paper, International Security Studies Section of the ISA conference. Providence, Oct 2010.
- Developing Curriculum to Address National Security Challenges in the Information Age: Cyber Security, Counterterrorism, and Regional Studies - University representative, program developer and panel participant. ODNI IC Centers of Academic Excellence Seminar. Washington, DC, Aug 2010.
- Betting on Bismarck: Violent Liberalism and the Flaw of Neoconservative Democratization - Paper, Southern Political Science Association conference. New Orleans, Jan 2007.
- Wonka Vision: The Dangers of Divergence When Fighting Terror and Spreading Democracy - Paper, Oxford Round Table on Global Security. Lincoln College, Oxford University, Aug 2006.
- Weakness in the US National Security Posture: Who is at Fault? - Faculty panel for Dr. John Lenczowski, President IWP. Calhoun Lecture Series. Mar 2006.
- Creating New Bin Ladens: US Foreign Policy in Central Asia - Paper, Central Asia panel, Southern Political Science Association conference, Atlanta, Jan 2006.
- Blood from a Stone: Problems of Privatization in Russian Provincial Health Care - Speaker, Munk Centre for Intl Studies, Trinity College, University of Toronto, Mar 2005.
- America's Role in the World After 9/11 - Speaker, Special presentation at Anderson College, Anderson, SC, USA, Oct 2003.
- Shadow Separatism: Regional Autonomy in Russia and Implications for Democracy - Paper, Munk Centre for Intl Studies, CREES, University of Toronto, Feb 2003.
- Sverdlovsk Oblast: Protecting the Crown Kingdom in the Russian Federation - Paper, Centro per l'Europa Centro Orientale e Balcanica (CECOB), ASN, Forli, Italy, Jun 2002.
- Professional Affiliations:
- American Political Science Assoc.
- International Studies Assoc.
- International Strategic Studies Assoc.
- Middle East Studies Assoc.
- The Leadership Quarterly
- International Studies Perspectives
Error while processing your submission.
There was an error while trying to process your submission. We are sincerely sorry for the inconvenience.
Please reach out to one of our Admission Counselors and they can answer any questions you have at 1-800-756-7920 (option 1). The Admissions office is open Monday through Thursday 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. (CST) and Fridays from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. (CST).
Congratulations on taking your first step towards earning your degree!
At Bellevue University, our passion is to help you get started and support you all along the way. In fact, we’ve found that many students have benefited from our complimentary “Smarter Measure” Self-Assessment which will help you prepare for success. Again, this is a free service.
Your User Name: ready
Your Password: ready
Just click here to start. Smarter Measure
Thanks again. We look forward to working with you!