Bellevue University Tops U.S. News Rankings


What is the FAFSA and how do I apply?

Free Application for Federal Student Aid, The application that needs to be completed in order to be eligible for financial aid.

The Bellevue University School Code is 002538. You will need this code to complete and submit the form.

This can be done online at once you submit your FAFSA, the Department of Education will process your file and send you a Student Aid Report (SAR). All the schools you have listed on the application will receive the information electronically.

Once we receive this we can determine if additional documentation is required. Additional documentation could be proof of citizenship, a copy of a social security card, signed copies of tax returns, or many other items. We will generate a financial aid award letter based upon your eligibility determined by the information submitted on the FAFSA and your enrollment.

Do I qualify for Financial Aid?

The basic requirements are to:

  • Be a US citizen or permanent resident of the United States
  • Have a high school diploma from an accredited high school or GED
  • Be a degree seeking student at Bellevue University
  • Males over the age of 18 must register with the selective service.
  • Not be in default of a federal student loan or owe a repayment on a federal grant.

Students who meet these basic requirements should qualify for some type of financial aid regardless of income. The type cannot be determined until you complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).

What is the Expected Family Contribution (EFC) and how does it affect my financial aid?

The EFC, derived from information on the FAFSA, represents the amount that the federal government expects a student's family should be able to pay towards the student's education. The EFC is a tool which, when subtracted from the cost of attendance, determines a student's need and therefore the type of aid for which a student is eligible. If a student is dependent (by FAFSA's standards), the EFC is based on both student and parent information. If a student is independent (again, by FAFSA's standards), only the student's—and, if applicable, their spouse's—information is included in the EFC calculation.

What are my chances of receiving financial aid?

The only way to determine your eligibility for financial aid is to submit a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). The likelihood of receiving some form of financial assistance is probably better than most students and their families anticipate.

In order to receive financial aid do I have to apply every year?

Yes. In order to receive consideration for all programs you must file a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) each year. File the FAFSA in the month of January after you have completed your taxes for the previous year.

Step Three of the FAFSA is used to identify students as either dependent or independent. To be considered an independent student, you must answer 'Yes' to at least one of the six questions listed in this step.

Also, the Financial Aid Office can override a student's dependent status but to do so requires some very unusual family situations. These situations require documented evidence from third-party witnesses (police reports, clergy, counselors, etc.).

What does it take to be considered an independent student?

If my parents are separated or divorced, whose income is reported on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)?

The parent you live with should complete the FAFSA. If the parent you live with has remarried, the income of that parent and their new spouse (step-parent) must be used.

Will the financial aid offered at one school transfer to another school?

No. Financial aid does not transfer from school to school. Students planning to transfer to another school should contact the Financial Aid Office at both schools to find out what is required.

Thanks for your interest in Bellevue University.

When you click the submit button below, our staff will contact you within 48 hours to get you the information you need and answer any questions.

Yes No