You can receive college credit for what you already know by passing DSST tests. These exams are developed by college faculty committees who design questions based on material typically covered in lower–level college courses. Bellevue University is a National Testing Center that offers more than seventy (70) tests that can be used to obtain college credit. The tests are completed on the computer, and results are immediately available.
Exception: The DSST Public Speaking test which is a two (2) part computer based exam. Part I is a two (2) hour timed multiple choice test and Part II is an extemporaneous speech given from an assigned topic and recorded on the computer. The time allotted for Part II is 20 minutes. The total time to complete Part I and Part II is two (2) hours and 20 minutes. It takes an average of ten (10) weeks to receive your test results.
Additional Important Information:
- Please check with your academic advisor prior to taking any of these exams to ensure the test meets your degree requirements.
- We recommend that you take only one (1) and no more than two (2) tests in one day.
- DSST scores are Pass/Fail; they do NOT affect GPA.
- Credits earned do not count toward the 60 credits of in-residence classes required to be eligible for academic honors.
- If you wish to transfer scores to another institution, contact that institution for their policy on testing for college credits.
- Only correct answers are scored, guessing is advised.
- If you fail a DSST test you must wait 90 days before you are eligible to retake the same test title.
The following DSST exams have an online calculator available for student use:
- Fundamentals of College Algebra
- Introduction to Computing
- Personal Finance
- Principles of Statistics
No personal calculators are permitted when taking the above listed tests.
A student may use a personal non-programmable calculator when taking the following DSST exams:
- Business Mathematics
- Principles of Finance
- Principles of Financial Accounting
Our DSST listing shows the tests we offer, the amount of credit you can earn at Bellevue University for specific tests, required passing scores, and other helpful information.
DSST tests are computer–based and are timed for two (2) hours (except for the Principles of Public Speaking Exam mentioned above).
DSST Study Information:
For DSST tests, information about tests (fact sheets) and study resources: http://www.getcollegecredit.com/
The Bellevue University Library professionals will be glad to assist you with materials needed to successfully prepare for your tests.
Test Session Information:
In order to take a DSST test, you must present one (1) form of personal identification. The form of identification must be a government-issued photo ID card that bears your signature. Military candidates must present a current military ID. You will need to bring a credit or debit card with you to pay the $80 DSST test fee.
The total fee for each DSST test is $110.00. This includes a $30.00 test administration fee. Registrations remain on file for 30 days. There are no refunds for test fees.
To Register & Schedule a Test
With at least twenty-four (24) hours’ notice, we offer testing at the BU Main Campus Test Center. Please note you are allowed one (1) re-schedule. For each additional re-schedule, you will be charged an additional $15 fee. You are allowed one (1) no show. For each additional no show, you will be charged an additional $15 fee.
If you are a Bellevue University student, you may schedule your DSST test and pay the $30 test proctoring fee by logging into your BRUIN account:
- Logging into BRUIN, and click My Info category.
- Under Student Resources, click Test Center.
- Click the Schedule a Test Form link.
- Complete the required properties for the test and payment type.
- You will receive a confirmation email.
- Registrations will remain on file for 30 days.
Please note the statements below which you will need to check before your request to schedule can be submitted:
- There are no refunds for test fees.
- Your request expires after 30 days.
- After the first reschedule/ no show there will be a $15 fee for each reschedule/no show.
If you are NOT a Bellevue University student, please call the Bellevue University Test Center to schedule your DSST test and pay the $30 test proctoring fee at 1-402-557-7428 or 1-800-756-7920 ext. 557-7428.
If you need additional assistance, please send us an e-mail.
Bellevue University's DSST score recipient number is:
Please consult with your Academic Advisor before you register for a test! Any duplication of classroom work with a DSST test may result in no credits.
Grading & Scores
Computer based exams are scored immediately upon completion.
Exception: The DSST Principles of Public Speaking Exam results take approximately 10 weeks to receive. Scores of tests taken with us are usually posted to your Bellevue University transcript within fifteen (15) business days.
Error while processing your submission.
There was an error while trying to process your submission. We are sincerely sorry for the inconvenience.
Please reach out to one of our Admission Counselors and they can answer any questions you have at 1-800-756-7920 (option 1). The Admissions office is open Monday through Thursday 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. (CST) and Fridays from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. (CST).
Congratulations on taking your first step towards earning your degree!
At Bellevue University, our passion is to help you get started and support you all along the way. In fact, we’ve found that many students have benefited from our complimentary “Smarter Measure” Self-Assessment which will help you prepare for success. Again, this is a free service.
Your User Name: ready
Your Password: ready
Just click here to start. Smarter Measure
Thanks again. We look forward to working with you!