CLEP & DSST Testing
You can receive college credit for what you already know by passing CLEP and DSST tests. These exams are developed by college faculty committees who design questions based on material typically covered in lower–level college courses. Bellevue University is a National Testing Center that offers more than seventy (70) tests that can be used to obtain college credit. The tests are completed on the computer, and results are immediately available.
- The DSST Public Speaking test which is a two (2) part computer based exam. Part I is a two (2) hour timed multiple choice test and Part II is an extemporaneous speech given from an assigned topic and recorded on the computer. The time allotted for Part II is 20 minutes. The total time to complete Part I and Part II is two (2) hours and 20 minutes. It takes an average of eight (8) weeks to receive your test results.
- The CLEP College Composition test which is a two (2) part computer based exam. Part I is a 50 minute timed multiple choice test and Part II consists of two essays written about provided topics to be completed in 70 minutes. The total time to complete Part I and Part II is two (2) hours. It takes an average of eight (8) weeks to receive your test results.
- Please check with your academic advisor prior to taking any of these exams to ensure the test meets your degree requirements.
- We recommend that you take only one (1) and no more than two (2) tests in one day.
- CLEP and DSST scores are Pass/Fail; they do NOT affect GPA.
- Credits earned do not count toward the 60 credits of in-residence classes required to be eligible for academic honors.
- If you wish to transfer scores to another institution, contact that institution for their policy on testing for college credits.
- Only correct answers are scored, guessing is advised.
- If you fail a CLEP test you must wait 180 days before you are eligible to retake the same test title.
- If you fail a DSST test you must wait 90 days before you are eligible to retake the same test title.
Calculator Usage :
The following CLEP exams have an online calculator available for student use:
- College Algebra
- College Math
The following DSST exams have an online calculator available for student use:
- Fundamentals of College Algebra
- Introduction to Computing
- Personal Finance
- Principles of Statistics
A student may use a personal non-programmable calculator when taking the following DSST exams:
- Business Mathematics
- Principles of Finance
- Principles of Financial Accounting
Test Details :
Our CLEP/DSST listing shows the tests we offer, the amount of credit you can earn at Bellevue University for specific tests, required passing scores, and other helpful information.
CLEP tests are computer–based and timed for 90 minutes except for the College Composition Exam mentioned above.
For CLEP study resources:
For CLEP exam details, sample questions, and study resources:
Test Session Information :
In order to take a CLEP test, you must present two (2) forms of personal identification. The primary form of identification must be a government-issued photo ID card that bears your signature. The secondary form of ID must have a photo and/or signature. Military candidates must present a current military ID and a second form of government–issued photo ID.
Your score report shows the total scaled score for each exam taken. Total scaled scores fall between 20 and 80. To learn more, download What Your CLEP Score Means.
DSST tests are computer–based and are timed for two (2) hours (except for the Principles of Public Speaking Exam mentioned above).
For DSST tests, information about tests (fact sheets) and study resources:
For DSST test preparation including practice exams:
The Bellevue University Library professionals will be glad to assist you with materials needed to successfully prepare for your tests.
The total fee for each CLEP test is $110.00 and each DSST test is $110.00. This includes a $30.00 test administration fee. There is a $15.00 charge for the cancellation of a test. Registrations remain on file for 30 days. Please note you are allowed one (1) re-schedule. For each additional re-schedule, you will be charged an additional $15 fee. You are allowed one (1) no show. For each additional no show, you will be charged an additional $15 fee.
Registration & Scheduling
With at least twenty-four (24) hours notice, we offer testing at the BU Main Campus Test Center or the Lozier Campus Test Center. Please note you are allowed one (1) re-schedule. For each additional re-schedule, you will be charged an additional $15 fee. You are allowed one (1) no show. For each additional no show, you will be charged an additional $15 fee.
To Register & Schedule a Test
- Logging into BRUIN, and click My Info category.
- Under Student Resources, click Test Center.
- Click the Schedule a Test Form link.
- Complete the required properties for the test and payment type.
- You will receive a confirmation email.
- Registrations will remain on file for 30 days.
** All tests must be turned in when the Test Center closes.
If you are a Bellevue University distance learning student, you can find a listing of CLEP and DSST test centers that administer exams in your area at http://apps.collegeboard.com/cbsearch_clep/searchCLEPTestCenter.jsp (CLEP) and http://www.getcollegecredit.com/search.html (DSST). If you need additional assistance, please send us an e-mail.
Bellevue University's score recipient numbers are:
Please consult with your Academic Advisor before you register for a test! Any duplication of classroom work with a CLEP or DSST test may result in no credits.
Grading & Scores
Computer based exams are scored immediately upon completion. Exception: The Principles of Public Speaking Exam and the CLEP College Composition Exam take approximately 8 weeks to receive your score.
Scores of tests taken with us are usually posted to your Bellevue University transcript within ten (10) business days.
Error while processing your submission.
There was an error while trying to process your submission. We are sincerely sorry for the inconvenience.
Please reach out to one of our Admission Counselors and they can answer any questions you have at 1-800-756-7920 (option 1). The Admissions office is open Monday through Thursday 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. (CST) and Fridays from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. (CST).
Congratulations on taking your first step towards earning your degree!
At Bellevue University, our passion is to help you get started and support you all along the way. In fact, we’ve found that many students have benefited from our complimentary “Smarter Measure” Self-Assessment which will help you prepare for success. Again, this is a free service.
Your User Name: ready
Your Password: ready
Just click here to start. Smarter Measure
Thanks again. We look forward to working with you!