Critical Thinking in Writing
- Reasoning progresses in a sequential and strategic way.
- Each logical step in the process builds explicitly on the insights gained in earlier steps.
- The writer affirms the truth of the conclusion/thesis only after being led to that conclusion as the result of the cumulative reasoning process. The truth of the conclusion/thesis is not presupposed throughout.
- Each critical assertion made as part of the developing line of reasoning is supported with logic.
- Each critical assertion made as part of the developing line of reasoning is supported with sufficient appropriate details and facts.
- The strategy used to advance the reasoning to the conclusion is logical.
- Contradictory evidence is acknowledged and addressed honestly and logically.
- Opposing points of view are explicitly anticipated and addressed honestly and logically.
- Crucial insights gained as part of the developing line of reasoning are tested and validated by being subjected to skeptical questioning.
- Level A: 8-9 Criteria Met
- Level B: 6-7 Criteria Met
- Level C: 4-5 Criteria Met
- Level D: 2-3 Criteria Met
- Level F: 1 Criterion Met
Error while processing your submission.
There was an error while trying to process your submission. We are sincerely sorry for the inconvenience.
Please reach out to one of our Admission Counselors and they can answer any questions you have at 1-800-756-7920 (option 1). The Admissions office is open Monday through Thursday 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. (CST) and Fridays from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. (CST).
Congratulations on taking your first step towards earning your degree!
At Bellevue University, our passion is to help you get started and support you all along the way. In fact, we’ve found that many students have benefited from our complimentary “Smarter Measure” Self-Assessment which will help you prepare for success. Again, this is a free service.
Your User Name: ready
Your Password: ready
Just click here to start. Smarter Measure
Thanks again. We look forward to working with you!