Bellevue University Tops U.S. News Rankings

Bellevue University FAQs

Click a question below to see the answer. If you do not see an answer to your question, or if would like additional information about Bellevue University, please contact us at 1-800-756-7920.

General Questions

  • Is an online degree as respected as a degree earned in class?

    Yes, the degree you earn online at Bellevue University is accredited, and is respected by employers throughout the country. Diplomas and transcripts from Bellevue University do not distinguish between online and in-class course delivery.

  • Is Bellevue University accredited?

    Bellevue University is accredited by The Higher Learning Commission of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools (NCACS). The NCACS is one of the six regional accrediting agencies recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.

    In addition to NCACS accreditation, the College of Business is accredited by the International Assembly for Collegiate Business Education (IACBE). IACBE is described as a premier accrediting body promulgating quality in the baccalaureate and graduate degree programs in business.

  • When do classes begin?

    Classes and programs start on an ongoing basis. We have open enrollment and most programs have several start points throughout the year. For more information, please visit with a Bellevue University Admissions Counselor.

Financial Aid

  • What kind of financial aid is available?

    As one of the most affordable private universities in the Midwest and online, Bellevue University offers many ways to finance your degree, including corporate tuition assistance, military tuition assistance, reimbursement, a wide variety of scholarships, loans, payment plans and many others. Our helpful and responsive Student Financial Services Department will help you access the many options available to you.

  • How can I defer my previous student loans?

    We are a member of the National Student Loan Clearinghouse (NSC). Enrollment is electronically reported to NSC once a month. Most lenders use NSC to verify enrollment. Students whose lenders do not use NSC will have to provide a deferment form to the Bellevue University Student Records each term. Attendance verifications/deferments are only given if you are currently enrolled and attending classes (ELA, incomplete grades, and CLEP/DSST tests do not qualify for deferments).

  • Where can I get a FAFSA form?

    We have links to the forms required on the Student Financial Services section of this website.

Student Financial Services


  • Do I need to take any pretests to be accepted to Bellevue University?

    Bellevue University is an open enrollment institution; pretests for acceptance are not required for undergraduate or graduate programs. However, students interested in applying to the doctoral program in Human Capital Management must complete the GMAT or GRE tests.

  • How do I transfer in credits?

    We've instituted transfer credit policies that include many ways for our students to demonstrate learning and earn college credit. In fact, Bellevue University degree programs and transfer credit policies enable most students to complete bachelor's degrees in as little as 16 months, without missing a beat at work or home.

    Depending on the learning involved and type of assessment used, these credits may be applied toward the general education core curriculum, electives, or in some instances, your major area of study for your degree program.

    Review your experiences, training, and education, then talk to an Admissions Counselor who will help you determine how many college credits you have, and who will show you how quickly you can complete your degree.

  • What if I need more credits to enter an Accelerated Bachelor's Degree Completion Program?

    Chief among cost-effective ways of earning credit are CLEP and DSST examinations. Both of these organizations offer a series of for-credit exams, which give you the opportunity to demonstrate college-level learning through the successful completion of 90-minute, multiple choice examinations. CLEP and DSST exams are offered at numerous locations throughout the country, including many college and university campuses. The Bellevue University campus is the site of the most CLEP tests administered in the United States.

Advising & Registration

  • What is the difference between a cohort program and a traditional program?

    Cohort: In a cohort major you will begin with a group of students and proceed through your entire major together on a set schedule. When you enroll into a cohort major, you are automatically enrolled for all of your major classes. If you plan to take any classes beyond your major at Bellevue University, you will have to register for them term-by-term. Most accelerated majors follow the cohort model.

    Traditional: In a traditional major you will choose the classes you would like to take each semester. There is not a set schedule in which you must complete your major classes. You will register each term based on personal needs and course offerings to meet your requirements needed for completion.

  • How do I change my degree or major?

    To change your major or degree, you need to contact your Academic Advisor. To determine your assigned advisor, log on to the Bellevue University Real-Time Information Network (BRUIN) and review the My BU Team section of the My Info page.

  • How do I find my academic advisor?

    You can contact your Bellevue University Academic Advisor by calling directly. The name of your Academic Advisor is located in BRUIN. After logging into BRUIN, review the My BU Team section of the My Info page for contact information. You can also email your Academic Advisor at

  • How do I register for classes?

    You can register at one of our campuses through your Academic Advisor or via our online self-service registration in the Bellevue Real-Time User Information Network (BRUIN).

Student Records

  • Will I be notified whenever my Advisement Report is updated in BRUIN?

    Students are only notified after the initial Advisement Report is created in BRUIN. The Advisement Report, which can be found in the My Info category on BRUIN, will be updated whenever new grades or transcripts are received.

  • What should I do if I have questions about my Advisement Report?

    Please contact your Academic Advisor for questions and assistance with your Advisement Report. The contact information for your Academic Advisor is located in BRUIN in the My Info category under the My BU Team section at the bottom of the page.

  • When is my initial audit done?

    Traditional Undergraduates: Students must be enrolled and all Official transcripts must be received by Student Records.

    Graduate MBA, HS, CIS: Students must be enrolled and a graduate evaluation is received from the college.

    Cohort Graduate Program Students: Students must be enrolled.

    Undergraduate Cohort Students: All Official transcripts must be received by Student Records.

  • What is the Student Records official audit?

    The initial audit determines your progress in completing your degree. Student Records will process your audit when all of your undergraduate transcripts have been received. This includes CLEP/ DSST test scores, corporate training eligible for credit, advanced placement scores and military training.

  • My last name has changed. How do I update my records to reflect my new last name?

    Bellevue University records need to reflect a student's legal name. If your last name changes, we need a copy of an official document (i.e., marriage license, divorce decree, driver's license, or social security card) that reflects your updated name in order to change the name on your academic records.

  • How do I withdraw from class?

    There are certain time periods within a semester/trimester that you can withdraw from classes. You can do this on campus or with our online registration services in BRUIN. We recommend that you check with the Financial Aid Office before doing so to see if your financial aid will be affected.

  • What are the differences between and Official and Unofficial Transcript?

    An official transcript is provided by Student Records and comes in a sealed envelope with the Bellevue University raised seal. Typically an official transcript is requested for job verification or for credit verification for another institution. An unofficial copy of a transcript is typically requested for personal use and can be obtained by contacting Undergraduate Admissions.

  • How do I order an Official Transcript?

    In order to request an official transcript, the student must submit a request by mail, fax, or by going online through BRUIN and ordering one through Student Resources. Official transcript requests are not taken by phone and require a signature in order to process the request. The request takes approximately 3-5 business days to process.

    For access to common forms such as 'Order an Official Transcript' please visit:

  • I ordered my Official Transcript but it has yet to get to the intended location. Do you keep track of where the transcripts are?

    Bellevue University Student Records keeps a tracking system of when the transcript was sent out and if it was not sent out the reason that it wasn't (i.e. Business office hold). Students may call the Registration Window to verify if the transcript has been mailed and what date it was done on.

  • How to register online

    Bellevue University Service Desk: can walk you through the process. They can be reached at 800-756-7920 or locally at (402) 293-2000.

    Instructions for Online Registration

    • The online registration service enables students to register and withdraw from classes at their own convenience. However, there are specified time periods in which a student can register and withdraw from classes.
    • If you need any assistance or have any questions about online registration you can contact an advisor or Student Records.

    Step I: Access our website at We recommend that you use Microsoft Internet Explorer (version 5.5 or higher) and a PC resolution of 800x600 High Color (16 Bit) to access B.R.U.I.N. If you are unfamiliar with these settings, please contact our Service Desk for assistance by phone at 402-557-7140. You can download Internet Explorer for free at

    If you have a pop-up blocker you will need to disable it for this site in order to register.

    Click on BRUIN Login and you will be directed to input your Access ID number and password.

    • Your Access ID is your student ID number
    • Your default Password is your birthdate (mmddyyyy with no spaces, hyphens or slashes. For example, a birth date of October 25, 1983 will be 10251983. A birth date of March 8, 1979 would be 03081979).
    • Your password can be changed after you have logged into BRUIN.
    • Click on the Registration Tab
    • Click on the appropriate term
    • If you do not see the term you want to register for please contact your advisor or the Registration's Office so you can be given access

    Step 1 of 4

    • Choose your payment option from the picklist and click continue (All payment options that you have been approved for will be in the payment picklist) and click the Continue button

    Step 2 of 4

    • Read the terms of conditions of the chosen payment option and click the accept button

    Step 3 of 4

    • Click on Add Class
    • Click on Find Class
    • Fill in the discipline and course number
    • Click Find and scroll down to see what is available
    • Click on the red arrow at the left side of the course (this will put the Call # in the Process Add box
    • Click Process Add
    • Pop up will appear stating that you have been added to the class, if correct click the okay button in the pop-up box
    • To add another class click Add Class and follow steps 5 through 9
    • finalize registration click the Save all work and quit button

    Step 4 of 4

    • Fill in payment information if required and click the submit button

    Note: Be sure to make a copy of this page as this will act as your receipt for payment as well as your course registration confirmation. Also, look at your class schedule, which is available in BRUIN, to make sure the transaction was completed correctly.

    Adding Classes:

    • If you wish to add a course you can simply follow the same process you used to complete your initial online registration (outlined above)

    Withdrawing/Dropping Classes:

    • If you wish to drop a course you can follow the same process you used to complete your online registration previously outlined (see the steps shown on the screens)
    • However, instead of clicking on Add Class you will choose Drop Class. Click on the red arrow at the left side of the course you are dropping (this will put the Call # in the Process Drop box. Click Process Drop
    • Continue the process as outlined above

    Please remember that if you are not participating in a class or there are reasons why you need to withdraw from a course, you must initiate the withdrawal process either by completing the drop through BRUIN or by contacting your advisor. If this does not occur, at the end of the course you will receive an automatic "F".

    • Problems w/ term not being available: Email Regina Rios or Traci Henderson
    • Being locked out of the system: Call or email Registration Window; the students will typically get an error code if they have tried logging into register too many times.
    • Payment method: Call or email Registration window: the automatic payment code will automatically be cash or charge unless it is verified by Student Accounts that another payment is acceptable (i.e. Tuition Remission, Tuition Reimbusement/Tuition Assistance, Money on account etc).
    • Drops / Holds / Stop Holds: Call or email Registration window; student may be dropped for failure to make a payment. They may also have holds that will prevent them from registering; examples include International Student hold; Business office hold; academic suspension; academic warning; deans hold. These holds require that the student comes in person to register.
    • Late grades and grades not being posted (calls from both faculty and students): All inquires go through Victor Blouch who tracks the grades.


  • How do I qualify for honors - Undergraduate Only?

    To be eligible for honors at graduation, undergraduate students must complete a minimum of 60 credit hours at Bellevue University. Credit hours earned with grades of pass/fail do not count toward graduation honors. CLEP/ DSST, ELA, or any other transfer credits also do not count toward honors. Degrees with honors are awarded to candidates whose cumulative grade point average in courses taken at Bellevue University fall within the following limits:

    • Summa Cum Laude 3.95 and above
    • Magna Cum Laude 3.88 through 3.94
    • Cum Laude 3.76 through 3.87
    • With Distinction 3.60 through 3.75
  • What do I need to do to participate in the Commencement Ceremony?

    In addition to your conferral, you may participate in the Commencement Ceremony held twice each year in the Omaha Metropolitan area. Hosted by the Bellevue University Board of Directors, the Commencement Ceremony is the official celebration of your success. The event is open to all family and friends. Commencement Registration deadlines are October 1st for the Winter Ceremonies and March 1st for the Spring Ceremonies. In order to be included in the ceremony, Click Here to learn more about Commencement and complete the Commencement Ceremony Entry Form.

  • How do I apply for graduation?

    When logging into BRUIN the student will automatically be on the home tab. The student needs to click on the link for Eservices and then click on the Graduation Diploma Form. The student will fill this out and pay their $100.00 fee.

  • When will my degree be conferred?

    As of April 2008, Bellevue University confers degrees monthly. The conferral of degrees becomes effective the last day of each month. Students must clear all obligations to the University prior to the release of their diploma. Diplomas will be sent approximately 8 weeks after a student's conferral date.

    • Upon Student Records verifying a student's degree program is 100% complete, the student is notified and asked to go online to order their diploma, which arrives approximately eight weeks after the conferral date.
    • The student may complete the Diploma Order Form without notification from Student Records as long as their BRUIN Advisement Report indicates their degree is 100% complete. Do not complete the Diploma Order Form prior to your Advisement Report indicates your degree is 100% complete. Early completion of the Diploma Order Forms may delay conferring your degree.
    • If your BRUIN Advisement Report does not indicate you are 100% complete when you believe it should, please contact your Academic Advisor.

    Please note: Having your degree conferred does not register you into the commencement ceremony, and participating in the commencement ceremony does not mean you have graduated or your degree has been conferred.

Student Resources

Click for Library FAQ List

Thanks for your interest in Bellevue University.

When you click the submit button below, our staff will contact you within 48 hours to get you the information you need and answer any questions.

Yes No